Gov. James Michael Curley was expected to sign a bill sponsored by Rep. Daniel Coakley Jr. to name the Soldiers’ Field Extension between Western Ave. and North Beacon St. the Birmingham Parkway in memory of Rep. Birmingham, who passed away earlier in the year, the Boston Globe reported June 17, 1936, p. 2.
The bill (No. 1715) provided for a tablet bearing the designation Birmingham Parkway at each terminus by the Metropolitan District Commission.
Soldier’s Field Extension was firm opened in November 1929. Shortly after it opened it become a magnet for auto accidents. Within six months of its opening, there had been 20 serious accidents on the roadway, according to the Globe (March 14, 1930, p. 16). This characteristic continues to this day.
The parkway was close to the Brighton Abattoir, where cattle were housed and slaughtered. Shortly after it was renamed, the Globe reported (Aug. 24, 1936, p. 15) that cattle escaped from the Abattoir and were grazing on the “succulent green grass” along the parkway. Brighton’s finest had to herd the cows back to the Abattoir because they were causing traffic problems.
Leo M. Birmingham Parkway was officially dedicated on Oct. 26, 1941. Around 5,000 people attended the dedication exercises and parade, the Globe reported (Oct. 27, 1941, p. 8). Paul Everett was chief marshall.
Participating in the exercises were members of the Brighton-Allston Post, A.L.; Alston Post, V.F.W.; Brighton Council K. of C.; Allston Council, K. of C.; Boston Fire Department Band; Massachusetts State Guard; and the Junior Police Corps.